Dumpster is a freeware utility that dumps the internals of IBM i spooled files and print resources.
Now you can use the same tool we use to inspect a spooled file's or print
resource's internals. The output is not pretty but with it you can gain insight
into the inner workings of IBM i spool support. This can be useful for increasing printer through put or
determining the exact effect of various DDS keyword combinations.
Dumpster supports most of the IBM i spooled file print data streams:
||SNA Character String.
||Intelligent Printer Data Stream.
||Advanced Function Presentation Data Stream.
Dumpster generates the following formatted dumps:
||The spooled file's complete attributes, equivalent to WRKSPLFA on steroids.
||A list of external resources referenced by the spooled file. This is the output
of IBM i's QGSLRSC
||The raw data stream in readable form.
||Complete information on the spooled file's buffers. This is the output of IBM i's QSPGETSP
API for format SPFR0200.
The product includes work-a-likes for the IBM i Work with Spooled File (WRKSPLF) and Work with Output Queue (WRKOUTQ) commands.
The work-a-likes allow you to display a list of spooled files and process them
by entering an option number.
Gumbo products include a range of standard features that make them easy
to use, easy to manage, and easy to live with:
- Extensive manual, both online as menu option 1 and in PDF PDF (See downloads page).
- Context sensitive help for every command and parameter.
- Menu that provides organized access to the product's features.
- The product is packaged as a licensed program and participates in the full
range of support provided by IBM i.
Licensed program installation, PTF management, etc. are handled with the same commands used to manage IBM®
- Unlike IBM®
Licensed Programs, our products are packaged to allow multiple releases
to be installed at the same time. This facilitates new
- Product PTFs
are available on the web or can be retrieved and installed in a single
our Retrieve Gumbo PTF (RTVGSIPTF) command.
- Our products include a hot site friendly automatic
authorization function that allows you to immediately move operations
to any backup or failover machine without contacting us for a license
key or authorization code.
- We include a Check Product Authorization (CHKPRDAUT) command that allows
you to exercise the product's authorization algorithm and insure there are
no authorization "surprises".
- An installation verification option is available on the menu. You can
easily verify that the product is correctly installed.
- All (applicable) objects in our products are digitally
signed allowing you to verify their integrity. Modifications that could
jeopardize the security of your system are easily detected with IBM i's Check Object Integrity (CHKOBJITG) command.
- Our products are upward compatible with future
IBM i releases.
You can install a new
IBM i release without
installing a new release from us.
- Our products are compatible with all IBM i security levels. We use only published interfaces.
For additional information see: Answers to the most frequently
asked general product questions.
Dumpster is only available on the web. To receive the product, download it now.
Dumpster is free. By using it however, you are agreeing to be bound by
our license agreement.